Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Books, Books, My Kingdom for Books!


Swings. Scooters. Skateboards. Treehouses. Horses and dogs. All important to almost all kids. And they were to me too when I was a youngster. But nothing. And I really do mean this. Nothing, was more important to me as a kid then my books. I read, well my mom taught me this word, voraciously. I was and am a voracious reader. Which meant pretty much anytime I was not occupied with one of the earlier-mentioned childhood past times, I had my head buried in a book. My five younger siblings didn't seem to get this PRE-occupation with literature from their older, detached, absorbed and unresponsive sister. Which I'm certain was part of the point. I not only loved immersing myself in a good story, I also had found a way to escape the invasive screamy-neediness of a huge gaggle of young kids.

But, I'm distracted. I could talk about reading all day long, when I'm not actually doing it. And for hours when I can, I am probably reading. I didn't write this to tell you that. I wanted to tell you rather that this blog is named Heart Mom Books because here I tell you about books I recommend after I read them or someone else has read them and tells me about them.

I hope you find a good read here. Since I'm a family therapist, much of what I read and recommend is about parenting, moms, kids, and families. But every once in awhile I will come across a treasure and I will recommend something different.

Like I am today.

I want to recommend - no scratch through that - I want to INSIST that you read Ann Voskamp's book One Thousand Gifts. Because if you don't you will miss a blessing - a surprise- a treasure. Ann is one of the very best writers I have ever been privileged to read. Lysa Terkeurst of Proverbs 31 Ministries says this about the book, "...[from] one of the most gifted writers I have ever read... a book that will challenge you and mess with you in the most beautiful of ways..."  I totally agree. This is a book that you will find difficult to not re-read. I just finished it today and I have already marked the specific places that I must read again. Ann's words are pictures. They are vivid and memorable. A farmer's wife, mother of six and a dedicated homeschool mom, she describes finding joys in her daily life that led to the discovery of a  relationship with God that will surprise you. It did me, anyway. Please read it. Here's the website: http://onethousandgifts.com/   Be blessed

No comments:

Post a Comment